Nov. 18, 1997
FSU Volleyball Release
This Weekend... #2-Seed Florida State Aims For ACC Title In Conference Tournament At Raleigh #2 FSU vs. #7 Virginia * Friday, November 21 at 6:00 pm #2 FSU vs. #3 Georgia Tech/#6 North Carolina * Saturday, November 22 at 6:00 pm ACC Tournament Championship * Sunday, November 23 at 3:30 pm Raleigh, North Carolina * Reynolds Coliseum (5,000) Championship Match Live on the Sunshine Network FLORIDA STATE Lady Seminoles
3-0 WIN AT WAKE FOREST
Florida State rolled past the Demon Deacons in Winston-Salem 3-0 behind a .727 hitting %age from Susan Hawks & 11 kills from Holly Schneider.
3-2 WIN AT DUKE
An emotional 3-2 victory propelled FSU to the #2 finish in the regular season conference standings at 11-5. Four players registered double-doubles. Aisha Thornton had a career-high 8 block assists.
* Sunday's 13-15, 15-7, 15-7, 14-16, 15-10 victory at Duke to clinch the runner-up position in the ACC was the first five-game match for the Lady Seminoles this season. For the most part,Florida State has made quick work of its opponents game-wise with 14 sweeps and nine 3-1 victories. FSU has, however, played several marathon matches. 11 FSU conference matches have lasted over 2 hours including a 2:40 battle with UNC. The Lady Seminoles' quickest match was a 53-minute rout of Georgia Southern in September.HEMLEPP'S BACK
* FSU rookie outside hitter Kate Hemlepp returned to the starting lineup last Saturday against Wake Forest. She had been sidelined since the UNC match with patellar tendonitis in her right knee.WERRICK ROLLS ON
* Three-time ACC Rookie of the Week Jennifer Werrick continues to post impressive performances against conference opponents adding double-doubles against Maryland and Virginia over the weekend. In 7 ACC contests, Werrick is averaging 15.0 kills & 12.3 digs permatch and 4.0 kills & 3.3 digs per game.ROOKIE AWARDS PILE UP * Florida State's freshman class has wowed the Atlantic Coast Conference this season. Outside hitters Kate Hemlepp and Jennifer Werrick have garnered 6 of the 12 ACC Rookie of the Week awards this year.
A LOOK AT THE POLL
* The Lady Seminoles are currently #31 in the latest AVCA/USA Today Volleyball Coaches Poll released Tuesday. FSU has received votes in eight of the thirteen weeks this season, peaking at #30 prior to its match with Florida in late September. Maryland was the only ACC team in the Top 25 this week at #16.ADD A THOUSAND
* Florida State once again topped the 1,000 mark in attendance on Friday, October 10th as 1,127 Lady Seminole fans watched FSU defeat Clemson 3-1. The 2,782 fans in a standing room only crowd for FSU's match with Florida earlier this season set a new attendance record for the Lady Seminoles in Tully Gym. "It's always been a goal to get the fire marshal in here," said head coach Cecile Reynaud. Tully Gym's capacity is listed as 2,500.
* With its victory over North Carolina on Halloween Night, Florida State earned its twentieth win of the season. It marked the first time since 1993 that the Lady Seminoles had reached the 20-win plateau. In her 22 years as head coach, Cecile Reynaud has recorded 18 20-win seasons. Reynaud is now 563-237 overall at Florida State.
BOLTEN BREAKS ASSIST RECORD
* In just her third match back from injury, Fiona Bolten broke a Florida State record for assistsin a match with 75 against North Carolina on Halloween night. Jennifer McCall held the previous record of 74 against South Florida in 1993. Bolten also registered the first triple-double by a Lady Seminole this season with then career-highs in assists (65), kills (10), and digs (20) along with 2 blocks and 2 service aces in FSU's 3-1 victory at Clemson on October 26th.
SCHNEIDER TAKES CHARGE
* Junior Holly Schneider has taken charge on both offense and defense for the Lady Seminoles lately. Schneider has posted double-doubles in 9 of her last 10 ACC matches notching 20 or more digs in half. During the 10-match stretch, she is averaging 14.2 kills and 15.6 digs per contest.
AT THE NET
* After an uncharacteristic blocking performance at Florida, FSU has averaged almost 10 team blocks including a 14.25 block assist per match mark over its last four conference matches.Throughout the 1997 season, the Lady Seminoles have come up big at the net in victories registering more block assists than their opponent in 22 of their 24 wins this year. Overall,Florida State leads opponents 376-235 in block assists through 31 matches.
PLAY THE PERCENTAGES
* Florida State is making each kill count this season. Thus far, the Lady Seminoles have a .270 hitting percentage. Opponents, on the other hand, are averaging almost 100 points less than FSU at .172. In the ACC, Florida State leads its foes .243-.198.NO MERCY
* Florida State has had little mercy for its opponents in 1997. The Lady Seminoles have outscored their opponents 1215-850 thus far this season. Florida State also holds a 862-511 edge over visitors to Tully Gym in 16 home matches.
ELEVEN MAKES TWO
* Florida State swept four conference opponents this season enroute to its most ACC wins (11) in its 7 seasons in the conference and its #2 seed heading into the ACC Tournament. The Lady Seminoles completed regular season sweeps of Clemson, NC State, and Virginia, and Wake Forest in 1997. FSU was the second seed in the 1992 conference tournament (6-1 ACC regular season).
* Only two players have competed in every game of every match for the Lady Seminoles this season. Senior Christy Minko has tallied 241 digs, second-best on the team, during her 107 games of action. Junior Holly Schneider leads the team with 354 kills, 54 service aces, and 353 digs during her 107-game run. Dating back to 1996, Schneider has now played in 195 consecutive FSU games.
A DOZEN TO START
* Florida State rolled to victory in its first 12 matches of 1997 marking the best start in program history. FSU also nabbed tournament championships in its own FSU Classic, the All-Sport Michigan Challenge, and the Florida Atlantic Tournament. The Lady Seminoles previous best start came in the 1982 season when FSU opened up 8-0.
* FSU's 1997 September record is quite a turnaround from a year ago. The Lady Seminoles finished at 10-2 last month. In 1996, Florida State was a lowly 1-10 in the month of September.
GAME AFTER GAME
* In winning 36 of their first 37 games this season, the Lady Seminoles compiled an impressive 27-game winning streak. The 27-game streak is the second longest in school history. FSU won 36 games during a 21-match winning streak in 1981.IT TAKES TWENTY
* After cruising through games 2 and 3 for 15-5, 15-6 victories, Florida State needed 20 points to put away the Clemson in the fourth and final game on October 26th. Since 1976, FSU has posted 20 or more points in a game against 4 opponents: 1979 Nicholls State W 15-6, 20-18 1988 LSU L 10-15, 9-15, 22-20, 10-15 1991 Loyola Marymount W 18-16, 13-15, 20-18, 17-15 1994 Virginia W 15-8, 15-12, 4-15, 14-16, 20-18
FSU in the ACC Tournament
HONORS & AWARDS
BY THE NUMBERS - FLORIDA STATE and the ACC