Sept. 22, 1997
Florida State Volleyball Weekly Release
Wednesday...Undefeated Lady Seminoles Collide With Nationally-Ranked Lady Gators
Florida State vs. Florida
Wednesday, September 24 at 7:00 pm * Tully Gymnasium
Live on the Sunshine Network
Florida State Lady Seminoles
* Record: 12-0.
* Conference: 0-0 in the ACC.
* Current Streak: Won 12.
* Lately: The Lady Seminoles extended their best start in program history
with three victories in the Florida Atlantic Tournament in Boca Raton over
Florida Lady Gators
* Record: 11-1.
* Conference: 0-0 in the SEC.
* Current Streak: Won 1.
* Coach: Mary Wise, 7th season at UF.
* 1996 Postseason: NCAA Final Four.
* Starters Returning/Lost: 4/2.
* Standouts: MB Nina Foster (4.17 kpg, .404 h%) and S Nikki Shade (12.91
apg) lead the Lady Gators.
* Lately: Florida opened the season with 10 straight wins before falling
to #3 Long Beach State 3-0 at home last Friday. The Lady Gators avenged
the loss with a 3-2 win over LB St. on Saturday.
Florida State leads the overall series with the Lady Gators 21-18 dating
back to 1976. Florida, however, has been closing the gap throughout the 90s
winning 9 of 12 meetings including 5 straight regular season matchups. FSU
is 2-2 against Florida in Tully Gymnasium since 1993.
Make That A Dozen
* With its three victories in the Florida Atlantic Tournament over the
weekend, Florida State extended its best start in program history to 12-0.
The Lady Seminoles previous best start came in the 1982 season when FSU
opened up 8-0.
Honors And Awards
* The Lady Seminoles have taken top honors from the ACC and during
tournament play throughout the season. Aisha Thornton and LaToya Presberry
have been named ACC Players of the Week. Kate Hemlepp has twice won Rookie
of the Week honors. Susan Hawks & Presberry have nabbed tournament MVP
awards and Fiona Bolten, Holly Schneider, Presberry, Hawks, & Hemlepp have
been all-tournament team members in 1997.
Play The Percentages
* Florida State is making each kill count this season. Thus far, the Lady
Seminoles have a .339 hitting percentage. FSU's .330 mark last week put
the Noles at #2 in the nation in hitting percentage just behind Penn State.
Opponents, on the other hand, are averaging just .089. In fact, FSU's
lowest hitting percentage in a match this season is .278. The best by an
opponent is .151.
More, More, More
* In each of its first twelve matches, the Lady Seminoles have had more
kills, more assists, and more block assists than their opponent. Plus,
Florida State has limited its attack errors with fewer than each of its 12
opponents in 1997.
Hold The Score
* Florida State has had very few scares thus far this season. The Lady
Seminoles have held their opponents to under 10 points in 30 of 37 games in
1997. Georgia State was the last team to score in double digits as FSU
defeated GSU 15-11, 15-4, 15-6 on September 13th.
Big Against The Big Ten
* Florida State has put up some of its best numbers of the season against
the bigger schools. FSU recorded its most kills (58) and total blocks (15)
of the season against Michigan in the All-Sport Volleyball Challenge in Ann
Arbor. The Lady Seminoles served up a season-high 10 aces and tallied 12
total blocks against Purdue in the FSU Classic.
The Brick Wall
* The Lady Seminoles have put together an excellent team blocking force at
the net. FSU holds a large edge over opponents in block assists 162-41.
* FSU has had little mercy for its opponents in 1997. The Lady Seminoles
have won 36 of 37 games played thus far this season outscoring their
opponents 547-255. Florida State has yet to lose a game in Tully Gym,
outscoring its visitors 270-113 in six home matches.
Uf: Trouble In Tully?
* FSU hasn't offered a warm welcome to Florida in Tully over recent years.
In 1993, the Lady Noles handed Florida 1 of only 4 Lady Gator losses on the
season. In 1994, UF entered Tully 20-3 only to be swept by the Lady
Top Of The Conference
* Florida State holds the best record in the Atlantic Coast Conference at
12-0. Clemson (9-0) and Maryland (8-0) are the only other undefeated ACC
teams. Statistically, FSU as a team ranks in the top 3 in hitting
percentage, kills per game, service aces per game, and blocks per game.
Individually, the Lady Seminoles are among the conference leaders in
hitting percentage, blocks per game, kills, assists, and service aces per
Arnold Expected To Be Ready
* Senior outside hitter Laura Arnold is expected to be available to play in
Wednesday night's match with Florida. She has missed the last 3 weeks of
action with an ankle injury.
Noles On Tv
Live on the Sunshine Network
SUNSHINE NETWORK TALENT
* Tom Block will handle the play-by-play while Lisa Gunning provides the
The First Of Four
* Wednesday's match with the Lady Gators is the first of four scheduled
television appearances on Sunshine by Florida State in 1997. FSU will host
Clemson, Wake Forest, and North Carolina on TV later this season. In 1996,
the Lady Seminoles were 1-2 in televised matches including a loss to the
Lady Gators last November.