May 31, 2001
Tallahassee, Fla. -- Day two of the pre-qualifying draw of the USTA Tallahassee Challenger saw all four Seminole men's tennis players lose. FSU freshman Jarrod Owen was the only Seminole to advance to the quarterfinals after four 'Noles moved out of Wednesday's first round. The pre-qualifying draw will resume on Friday with the semifinals. Owen lost in his second match of the day to the No. 1 seeded player, Michael Lang from the University of Miami.
Lang was ranked 46th in the nation during this past collegiate season. Owen had won earlier in the day to advance to face Lang in the quarterfinals. Owen was the only Seminole to win in the second round, defeating Sean Maymi 6-4, 6-1 in the morning to keep the Seminoles hopes alive. The winner of the pre-qualifying draw will get a chance to earn a spot in the main draw by playing well on Sunday and Monday in the qualifying draw. Six players will have the chance to gain entry into the main draw from the qualifying draw.
The action continues Friday at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center with two semifinal matches. For more information on the tournament please contact Jason Byrne at 644-1350.
Thursday's Pre-Qualifying Results
(2) Jeremy Wurtzman d. Jeff Scarella 6-1, 6-3
(7) Isaac Yarrell d. D. Kolowich 6-4, 6-4
Hagen Endler d. A. Muratora 6-3, 6-4
(4) Phillipe Salvat d. Bartosz Koldej 6-3, 6-4
Lenin Mongerie d. Klingenberg 6-1, 7-5
Lance Vodicka d. (6) Alex Herrera 6-3, 2-6, 7-6(4)
(8) Jarrod Owen d. Sean Maymi 6-4, 6-1
(1) Michael Lang d. Karim Bennett 6-1, 6-1
(2) Jeremy Wurtzman d. (7) Isaac Yarrell 6-2, 6-3
Hagen Endler d. (4) Phillipe Salvat 6-4, 6-1
Lance Vodicka d. Lenin Mongerie 7-5, 7-5
(1) Michael Lang d. (8) Jarrod Owen 6-0, 6-2
(2) Jeremy Wurtzman vs. Hagen Endler
(1) Michael Lang vs. Lance Vodicka