March 4, 2008
Tallahassee, Fla. - For the third straight season, Florida State welcomes UNC Asheville to Tallahassee, this year for a two-game mid-week set. FSU leads the all-time series 17-1 as the Seminoles have won eight straight over the Bulldogs. Last year, the Seminoles recorded double-digit runs in all three games as Florida State outscored UNCA 44-15. FSU has registered three shutouts in the series including a 10-0 victory in the first of a three-game set in 2006. In 18 prior meetings, the Seminoles have held the Bulldogs to three runs or less 14 times. Dating back to the first game of the series played on March 15, 1994, every game in the series has been played in Tallahassee. UNC Asheville's lone win in the series came in 2004 as the Bulldogs defeated FSU 2-1 in the first game of a three-game set.
In 2007, the Seminoles hit .422 against Asheville while Florida State pitching held Bulldog hitters to a .248 average at the plate. Jack Rye hit .667 (6-for-9) in three starts posting seven RBIs, five runs scored and four walks. Jason Stidham and Buster Posey also hit well in the series batting .538 and .500, respectively in the series. Stidham and Posey combined for 12 runs and 13 RBIs. Bo O'Dell earned his first career start against UNCA working four innings as he earned a controlled start victory. Buster Posey pitched an inning in relief allowing no runs on two hits. It was his first and only appearance on the mound last year.
Mid-Week Baseball Information
Wednesday, March 5, 2008, 6:00 pm
* The Seminoles have hit 15 home runs through the first seven games of the season. To put that number in prospective, it wasn't until game No. 29 of the 2007 season that the Seminoles hit their 15th home run. Nine different Seminoles have registered a home run this year while six different Seminoles hit a round tripper in the first game of a doubleheader against Duquesne to open the season. It was the first time since May 4, 2007 at Maryland that FSU hit six home runs in one game.
* Head coach Mike Martin is just nine wins shy of becoming the third Division I coach in NCAA history to reach 1,500 career victories.
* Florida State enters the season looking to build off last year's 24-6 league mark and its first ACC Atlantic Division title. The Seminoles have averaged just over 50 wins since 2000 and will chase their 31st consecutive NCAA Regional appearance in 2008, the second longest streak in the nation.
* The Seminoles are ranked in the top 25 of every major NCAA Division I Baseball poll including top 10 rankings in three of those five.
* Buster Posey and Jack Rye were named to the preseason watch list for the Golden Spikes Award, while Posey joined Ryan Strauss and Jason Stidham on the preseason watch list for the Brooks Wallace Award. Posey and Rye were named preseason All-Americans. Posey was recently named to the Johnny Bench Award watch list, an award he was a finalist for in 2007.
For Complete Notes please see the above PDF.