No. 7 FSU Blazes Past UAB
Brittany Brown scored 17 points on 7 of 11 shooting, and No. 7 Florida State routed UAB 93-47 on Saturday.
The Seminoles (10-1) broke to 11-0 lead and went up 20-2 after six minutes.
In addition to Brown, the Seminoles were backed by Ivey Slaughter and Shakayla Thomas with 15 points each and Chatrice White with 10.
The Seminoles had 60 points in the first half. They dominated the boards, outrebounding UAB 49-20 for the game. Six players with had at least five boards.
UAB (4-4) shot just 27 percent in the first half and no player finished in double-digit scoring. Rachael Childress had nine points.
POST-GAME NOTES BY FSU SPORTS INFORMATION:
• In her return to her home state of Alabama, junior forward Shakayla Thomas’ 15 points was her 60th double-figure points game of her career and the ninth of the season.
• Senior Brittany Brown’s 17 points are a season high, while her three triples (3-of-4) ties her career high. It was her fifth game with three 3-point field goals.
• Senior point guard Leticia Romero recorded three blocked shots, marking a career high.
• FSU’s 93 points scored is the fourth time already the Seminoles have hit above the 90-point mark. Their season high is 98 in a 98-35 win over Winthrop.
• Florida State out-rebounded UAB 49-20. Its +29 rebounding differential is its largest of the season.
• Romero’s assist to freshman Nausia Woolfolk in the fourth period marked her 300th career assist. Romero reached the milestone in her 63rd career game, the second-fastest in program history behind Cheetah Delgado (57 games).
• Saturday’s game was the 13th all-time meeting with UAB. FSU now owns an 8-5 edge in the series.
• The Seminoles win over the Blazers gives them a nine-game win streak.
• Saturday’s matchup was FSU’s first visit to UAB since Dec. 20, 2007, when it defeated the Blazers 66-52.
• FSU has held a lead of 21 points or more in eight of its last nine games played.
• Florida State led 60-23 at halftime, its most points at the half this season. It was the fourth time this season the Seminoles scored 50+ heading into the break.
• FSU shot 12-of-12 in the first half from the charity stripe. The Seminoles finished 16-of-18 in the game.
• The Seminoles do not return to action until Monday, Dec. 19, at 6 p.m. against UNF in Tallahassee. Final Exam Week begins this upcoming week.