Men's Tennis Defeats Clemson, Advances to ACC Quarterfinals
Rome, Ga. – The No. 32 Florida State Seminoles (17-10, 7-6 ACC) defeated the Clemson Tigers (9-16, 2-11 ACC) to advance to the quarterfinals of the 2017 ACC Men's Tennis Championship.
Freshman Alex Knaff clinched the 4-2 victory with a gutsy 6-4, 7-5 victory over Carlos Kelaidis on court five. With the second set tied at 5-5 the remaining courts very close, but the young freshman was able to close out the match and seal the Florida State victory.
“I think we did a good job, especially in doubles,” Knaff said. “It was really good. It was tough seeing the score so I didn't know where everyone was (in their matches), but I wasn't too nervous. I stuck to the game plan, hit my shots, and it worked out well.”
In doubles play, the Seminoles split the first two courts with the Tigers, and court three decided the doubles point, with No. 77 Aziz Dougaz/Guy Iradukunda earning a strong 6-2 win over No. 37 Daffra Sanon/Sam Edwards on court one.
In singles, the Seminoles pushed forward in the middle of the lineup, as courts three through five produced the result Florida State needed to clinch the victory.
No. 38 Aziz Dougaz and No. 73 Guy Iradukunda both suffered uncharacteristic losses on courts one and two to give Clemson a 2-1 lead, but No. 94 redshirt junior Lucas Poullain gutted out a 7-5, 6-2 win on court three to tie the match.
Terrance Whitehurst slid into the four spot in the lineup, and held steady after doubles to take a 6-3, 6-2 win to give the Seminoles the lead once again.
To close out the match, Knaff was tied 5-5 in the second set and was able to claim the 6-4, 7-5 victory to close out the Seminole victory.
The Seminoles will now face third-seeded North Carolina tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. in the quarterfinal round of the ACC Men's Tennis Championship. You can follow along with the match here: http://theacc.co/mten17live8
For more information on Florida State tennis, check out:
Florida State 5, Clemson 2
1. Alex Favrot (CU) def. #38 Aziz Dougaz (FS) 7-5, 6-2
2. Daffra Sanon (CU) def. #73 Guy Iradukunda (FS) 6-2, 6-4
3. #94 Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Robert Dudley (CU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Terrance Whitehurst (FS) def. Sam Edwards (CU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Alex Knaff (FS) def. Carlos Kelaidis (CU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Brent Lett (CU) 6-4, 5-5
1. #77 Aziz Dougaz/Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. #37 Sam Edwards/Daffra Sanon (CU) 6-2
2. Alex Favrot/Robert Dudley (CU) def. Jack Haffey/Lucas Poullain (FS) 6-3
3. Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Arturo Pinazo/Carlos Kelaidis (CU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles