April 25, 2014
CARY, N.C. - The No. 8-seeded Florida State men's tennis team dropped to the No. 1-seed, Virginia, 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the ACC Championships Friday at the Cary Tennis Park. Florida State is now 18-11 this year.
In doubles play, the Seminoles started well with a break on court three and multiple break point opportunities on court two, but the Cavaliers won 8-5 on court one over Dominic Cotrone and Marco Nunez. Virginia clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 win by Alex Domijan and Harrison Richmond over Grayson Goldin and Michael Rinaldi on court two.
"Early on we had some chances at doubles," said head coach Dwayne Hultquist. "We got up a break at three and had a good start. We had about eight break point chances to get up on two. We really needed to get up early in doubles but Virginia held off the break points and were able to get the doubles point with wins on one and two."
In singles play, the Seminoles were up on courts four and six and stayed on serve on courts two and three. Freshman Jake Albo won his first set on court six, but none of the other Florida State players were able to hold on as the Cavaliers went on to win the five remaining first sets.
"I was really pleased with how well Jake played," continued Hultquist. "He didn't get to finish but was winning when the match finished. Cristian played Mitchell Frank very well and I thought that was some really good tennis out there and he played a strong match."
No. 14-ranked Domijan topped No. 72 Cotrone on court one 6-0, 6-2 while No. 115 Thai-Son Kwiatowski defeated Goldin 6-2, 6-1 on court five. Virginia clinched the match on court three when No. 47 Ryan Shane topped Nunez 6-3, 6-4.
"We actually started very good in singles," continued Hultquist. "Jake got up and ended up winning the first set. Blake was up 4-1 with two breaks while Cristian and Marco were on serve. I thought the change in the match was when Cristian and Marco lost their first sets and with the momentum switch Blake lost his set."
Check back to Seminoles.com for all your information on the men's tennis team and follow the team at @FSU_MTennis.
#1 Seed Virginia def. #8 Seed Florida State 4-0
1. #14 Alex Domijan (VA) def. #72 Dominic Cotrone (FS) 6-0, 6-2
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (VA) vs. C. Gonzalez Mendez (FS) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
3. #47 Ryan Shane (VA) def. Marco Nunez (FS) 6-3, 6-4
4. #80 Mac Styslinger (VA) vs. Blake Davis (FS) 6-4, 3-0, unfinished
5. #115 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Grayson Goldin (FS) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jake Albo (FS) vs. J.C. Aragone (VA) 6-4, 0-2, unfinished
1. #54 Styslinger/Luca Corinteli (VA) def. Cotrone/ Nunez (FS) 8-5
2. #74 Domijan/Harrison Richmond (VA) def. Goldin/Michael Rinaldi (FS) 8-3
3. Justin Shane/Frank (VA) vs. Davis/Gonzalez Mendez (FS) 7-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,5,3)