March 13, 2003
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - The Florida State men's tennis team completed its trip to San Diego, Calif., Thursday, March 13th, when the Seminoles faced the Toreros of the University of San Diego. The Tribe fell to San Diego by a score of 4-3. With the loss, the Seminoles fall to 8-7, while the Toreros fall to 7-4.
Florida State started the day strong as it won two of three doubles matches. In No. 1 doubles, Alex Herrera and Romain Jurd defeated Nic Beuque and Jason Pongsrikul of San Diego by a score of 8-6. Florida State's Jeff Groslimond and Chris Westerhof, playing at the No. 3 position, knocked off Nic Caldwell and Mirza Koristovic, 8-6. Playing in No. 2 doubles, Mat Cloer and Rodrigo Laub fell to Rob Blair and Pierrick Ysern by a score of 8-4.
After winning the first point of the day in doubles action, the Seminoles allowed the Toreros to win four of six singles matches. Groslimond and Laub earned the two Florida State victories in singles play. In No. 5 singles, freshman Groslimond defeated Mirza Koristovic of San Diego by scores of 6-2, 6-4. Senior Laub, playing at the No. 6 position, overpowered San Diego's Caldwell, 6-2, 6-0.
The Seminoles will return to action Sunday, March 16th, when they host the Clemson Tigers at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center. The match is scheduled to begin at 1:00 pm.
Final Box Score
Florida State 3
San Diego 4
1. Herrera/Jurd (FSU) d. Beuque/Pongsrikul (USD) 8-6
2. Ysern/Blair (USD) d. Cloer/Laub; (FSU) 8-4
3. Groslimond/Westerhof (FSU) d. Koristovic/Caldwell (USD) 8-6
1. Pierrick Ysern (USD) d. Mat Cloer (FSU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-4
2. Nic Beuque (USD) d. Romain Jurd (FSU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Jason Pongsrikul (USD) d. Chip Webb (FSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Rob Blair (USD) d. Heiner Tadault (FSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Jeff Groslimond (FSU) d. Mirza Koristovic (USD) 6-2, 6-4
6. Rodrigo Laub (FSU) d. Nic Caldwell (USD) 6-2, 6-0