Florida State Men's Tennis Falls To Clemson 4-3 In ACC Tournament
April 19, 2003
RALEIGH, N.C. - The third-seeded Florida State men's tennis team fell to the second-seeded Clemson Tigers at the 2003 Atlantic Coast Conference Tournament Saturday, April 19th, at the Millbrook Exchange Tennis Center in Raleigh, N.C. The Tigers claimed the doubles point of the match, which was the deciding factor in the 4-3 loss for the Seminoles. With the loss, The Tribe falls to 14-10, while Clemson improves to 24-9.
Florida State battled with the Tigers in doubles action, but was unable to earn the first point of the day, as Clemson won two of three doubles matches, which would clinch the Tiger victory. Mat Cloer and Rodrigo Laub, playing at the No. 2 position, earned the Seminoles only point in doubles play, as they defeated Damiisa Robinson and John Boetsch of Clemson, 8-6. In No. 1 doubles, juniors Alex Herrera and Romain Jurd allowed Clemson's Nathan Thompson and Jarmaine Jenkins to take a 8-6 victory. Freshmen Jeff Groslimond and Chris Westerhof fell to Brett Twente and Sander Koning of Clemson, 8-4.
The Seminoles fought hard in singles, but it would not be enough, as they allowed the Tigers to win three matches and clinch the victory. In No. 1 singles, Cloer defeated Clemson's Nathan Thompson, 6-1, 6-2. Florida State's Groslimond defeated Robinson of Clemson at the No. 5 position by scores of 6-4, 7-5. Senior Laub, playing in No. 6 singles, was victorious, as he knocked off Clemson's Ash Misquith, 6-1, 6-2.
The Seminoles took the Tigers to three sets in two of the three matches in which they lost. At the No. 3 position, freshman Westerhof fell to Jenkins of Clemson, 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3. Florida State's Chip Webb dominated Boetsch in the first set, but fell in No. 4 singles 1-6, 6-0, 6-4. Jurd, playing at the No. 2 position, was defeated by Koning by scores of 6-3, 6-2.
Final Box Score: Clemson 4, Florida State 3
1. Mat Cloer (FSU) def. Nathan Thompson (CU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Sander Koning (CU) def. Romain Jurd (FSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Jarmaine Jenkins (CU) def. Chris Westerhof (FSU) 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-3
4. John Boetsch (CU) def. Chip Webb (FSU) 1-6, 6-0, 6-4
5. Jeff Groslimond (FSU) def. Damiisa Robinson (CU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Rodrigo Laub (FSU) def. Ash Misquith (CU) 6-1, 6-2
1. N. Thompson/Jenkins (CU) def. Alex Herrera/Jurd (FSU) 8-6
2. Cloer/Laub (FSU) def. Robinson/Boetsch (CU) 8-6
3. Koning/Brett Twente (CU) def. Westerhof/Groslimond (FSU) 8-4