Regular Season Ends In Virginia
Oct. 28, 2009
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Third-ranked Florida State will wrap-up the 2009 regular season schedule on the road with games at Virginia and Virginia Tech this weekend. The Seminoles will face the Cavaliers on Friday before making the trek to Blacksburg to square-off against the Hokies on Sunday.
FSU has won three straight and is currently sitting atop the ACC standings with 19 points. Following victories over North Carolina and NC State last week, the Seminoles climbed to No. 3 in the latest Soccer America top 25 poll, the highest ranking achieved by the Garnet and Gold this year.
Sophomore defender Ella Stephan was named ACC Player of the Week after notching the game-winning goal in double overtime against the Tar Heels while pacing the Seminole backline to a pair of victories. She becomes the fourth Seminole student-athlete this year to be recognized by the league office.
Friday, October 30, 2009 - 7:00 p.m.
#3 Florida State vs. Virginia
Series Record: Virginia leads 14-0-3; Cavaliers lead 6-0-1 in Charlottesville, Va.
* In the 18th meeting between the two schools, Florida State will travel to Virginia for the eighth time in series history. The Seminoles are in search of their first-ever victory over the Cavaliers, while three times in the series FSU has played to a tie.
* Thirteen of the 17 contests have been decided by one goal or less including 11 of the last 12 games, while two of the last three meetings have resulted in a tie.
* FSU came away with a 1-1 tie in Charlottesville in 2007 snapping UVa's six-game winning over the Noles inside Klockner Stadium. Holly Peltzer scored the lone FSU goal giving the Noles a 1-0 first half lead in the 18th minute of play.
* Virginia has outscored FSU 17-6 in seven previous games in Charlottesville. Excluding the first game played at UVA in 1995 (6-0), the last six contents have all been decided by one goal or less.
Sunday, November 1, 2009 - 12:00 p.m.
#3 Florida State vs. #17 Virginia Tech
Series Record: FSU leads 6-0-1; Seminoles lead 2-0-0 in Blacksburg, Va.
* Florida State closes out the 2009 regular season schedule at Virginia Tech where the Seminoles are 2-0-0 all-time. The Seminoles won the first six games in the series before both schools played to a scoreless draw in the first round of the 2008 ACC Tournament - a game in which the Hokies advanced 4-2 in penalty kicks.
* FSU has outscored Virginia Tech 11-2 in the series and 4-0 on the Hokies home turf. The Seminoles are a perfect 5-0-0 against VT in regular season action since the Hokies joined the ACC in 2004; five of the seven contests have been decided by one goal or less including a 1-0 FSU victory in Blacksburg in 2007 on a goal by Mami Yamaguchi in the 75th minute.
* The Seminoles are 5-8-1 in closing out the regular season but are unbeaten in their last four regular season finales (3-0-1). FSU has never faced the Hokies to wrap up the year.
For complete notes see the PDF listed above.